Monday, March 1, 2010

Easy and Delicious Weeknight Dinner

Grocery shopping was the last thing I wanted to do today. Brian and I had a kinda busy weekend and I never got around to going to the store. I hate to start the week without a full stock of fresh ingredients and a menu in mind of what to cook. The cold, rainy weather really put a damper on things today. (No pun intended) All I wanted was a nice warm stew to come home to with some freshly baked bread for dipping. Well, needless to say, I had definitely not prepared for that, so I headed off to Whole Foods after work. I absolutely adore the fish counter at Whole Foods. I actually enjoy when I have to wait because then I can gawk at all the fish without being frowned upon for holding up the line. Today, I just wanted something healthy, easy, quick, and delicious...salmon...check.



Whole Foods makes it all too easy for you. They have 7oz center-cut salmon filets ready to go. This is great if you are in a hurry or new to the fish counter. I'll take 2, thanks!


Simply season your filets with some kosher salt, freshly ground pepper, and one of the best herb blends ever created, Herbs de Provence. This is the easiest prep but it delivers such a wonderful flavor. Heat a non-stick skillet with some olive oil. Once the oil is hot, add your salmon filets skin side down.

Sear the salmon on each side for just a couple minutes until it is done all the way through.

I served the salmon with some roasted vegetables. I chopped one fennel bulb into wedges and cut some small potatoes in half tossed them with salt, pepper, and olive oil until coated and roasted them at 425 degrees for about 20 minutes. Once the potatoes were fork tender, I tossed in some sliced asparagus and dill. I roasted them for about 10 minutes more, then served alongside the salmon and a simple salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment