Friday, August 14, 2009

Sandwiches are underestimated

I am a sandwich lover. I have enjoyed sandwiches my whole life. I love them because they are always satisfying when you are hungry and they can be as easy or as complex as you want them to be. I grew up eating Subway as my mom rarely cooked. I still go to Subway every now and then trying to re-create my perfect sandwich, but their bread just doesn't seem so freshly baked anymore and I wish they would slice the meat fresh. Growing up, I loved Subway because of all the toppings (including my favorite one of all - black olives, which most deli's don't carry these days). My new love for a great deli sandwich is the Great Outdoors. Luckily, there is one right by my office, so every now and then I will pick that up for dinner when I end up working late. With all that said, I appreciate a well made sandwich. So last night for dinner, I created a Club Sandwich for us to enjoy. I used a delicious homemade spicy mayo, but I am saving the art of homemade mayo, aioli and remoulade for another day.  I think sandwiches are a perfect canvas to coat with tons of fresh veggies, homemade spreads, gourmet meats and fine cheeses, although sometimes the best ones are the simplest. The biggest mistake I find that people make with homemade sandwiches is in the assembly. Do not underestimate the importance of the layers people. It is crucial in order to prevent your sandwich from being soggy and to ensure your textures and flavors are working together. I listed the recipe of what we had last night, but please don't stop here...try adding avocado, black olives, pickles, any spread you like, different cheeses...I could go on all day, but I have to go fix lunch.

Club Sandwiches (makes 2 sandwiches)
Ingredients
6 slices fresh sourdough bread
Softened butter
6 slices smoked turkey breast, thinly sliced
6 slices honey ham, thinly sliced
2 slices swiss cheese
2 slices medium cheddar cheese
2 tbls mayo (I used a spicy homemade mayo, but use whatever you love)
2 tbls mustard
4 slices fresh tomato
2 small handfuls of shredded lettuce
5-6 slices bacon, cooked and drained

Directions
I started off with 6 slices of fresh Sourdough bread and toasted 2 in the oven (this would be the center slice to each sandwich). I then spread one side of each of the remaining 4 slices with butter and placed in a non-stick skillet to brown up the buttered side. Next, I cooked about 5 slices of thick cut bacon until crispy and drained off the fat. With the 4 slices of bread from the skillet, I spread about a tablespoon of the spicy mayo on 2 of them and spread the remaining 2 with mustard. Now you are ready for assembly...pay close attention. On the 2 slices with mayo, next add a little bit of lettuce on top of the mayo, followed by 2 slices of tomato, a slice of swiss cheese and 3 thin slices of honey ham. Now add the toasted center piece of sourdough bread followed by some crispy bacon, 3 thin slices of turkey and a slice of cheddar cheese. Add the remaining slice of sourdough with the mustard on top of the slice of cheddar. I of course cut each sandwich into the classic 4 triangles. I just served this with some super sweet pineapple we got at the Farmer's Market on Sunday. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment