Monday, December 28, 2009

Happy Belated Birthday to Me

Well, last week I celebrated my 28th birthday! It started a few days early with dinner at Fearing's with Brian, my best friend Lauren and her husband Michael who was also celebrating his 28th birthday. It was a fabulous dinner with lots of wine and great food!

My actual birthday falls on the 23rd of December. I have always loved my birthday and love that it is 2 days before Christmas. The season is filled with holiday spirit and warmth and everyone is excited and ready for the best holiday of the year. This year, I really just wanted to relax and cook a fancy dinner for Brian and me. I decided on filet mignon with bearnaise sauce and a potato and brussel sprout hash with a bottle of Silver Oak.

I seared the filets in a super hot cast iron skillet on all sides then transferred it to the oven to finish cooking, then I began the hash and sauce. I have always heard how wonderful bearnaise sauce is with steak, however Brian and I had a really bad experience with tarragon when we were dating and tried to make a nice dinner of tarragon chicken. The licorice flavor was way too strong. I decided to give tarragon a second chance and the bearnaise sauce was incredible. I am so glad I decided to experiement with it. The flavor paired so perfectly with the steak. I know it is such a classic sauce, and I can't believe I have never had it, and if you haven't either...please do!

Bearnaise Sauce (recipe by Tyler Florence)

1 bunch fresh tarragon
2 shallots, minced
1/4 cup champagne vinegar
1/4 cup dry white wine
3 egg yolks
1 stick butter, melted
salt and freshly ground pepper

Make the bearnaise reduction first. In a small saucepan, combine half of the tarragon, shallots, vinegar and wine over medium-high heat. Bring to a simmer and cook until reduced by half. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.

Blend yolks and bearnaise reduction together in a blender. With the blender running, add 1/3 of the butter in a slow steady stream. Once it emulsifies, turn the blender speed up to high and add the remaining butter. Add the remaining half bunch of fresh tarragon leaves, season with salt and pepper and give it 1 more buzz. Set aside in a warm spot to hold the sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment