Saturday, September 26, 2009

Is it un-American to not like American Cheese?

Well, I just got back in town last night, so I apologize for not posting for so long. I was in Orlando. Not too exciting and even less appetizing. I did manage to go to Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville twice which does have some great food. The volcano nachos loaded up with chili, guacamole, sour cream, cheese, jalapenos, tomatoes, and scallions were a great finish to such a long day. I also tried the crab, shrimp, and mushroom dip which I will have to try to make at home because it was that good (just in case you want more details on that it was jumbo lump crab meat, shrimp and mushrooms simmered in a Cajun cream sauce that was severed with some toasted garlic bread.) Awesome.

Considering the two wonderful appetizers we had had and knowing that the "bar food" was pretty great here, I thought for sure my choice for the "Cheeseburger in Paradise" was going to be spot on. I mean that is one of the most famous songs my Jimmy Buffet, it would almost be a sin not to get the burger right. I got my burger, ordered cooked medium of course, and I cut into it to see that it had indeed been cooked to just medium. Great, I am about to go to Paradise with my burger. I had barely glanced over the description of the burger, but I did notice it stated American cheese. I have never been American Cheese's number one fan or even a fan at all really because there are just too many better choices out there. Why use a processed cheese EVER when there are infinite natural cheeses to choose from? I kinda ignored my intuition to ask for a different cheese because I thought for sure they know what they are doing by putting American Cheese on this famous burger. My first bite was so disappointing. That fake American Cheese flavor really stood out. I don't consider myself to be extremely picky or particular, but a natural Colby or Cheddar would have upped the burger into greatness. Unfortunately, just because of the cheese it wasn't very good, but the onion rings...now those helped make it all ok.

So, is it un-American not to like American Cheese? I don't like it, my husband can't stand it, so why do people even use it. The cost of a burger is cheap enough for me to use a different cheese. You will never catch me putting American Cheese on a burger, in my grilled cheese or in my Mac and Cheese, so you shouldn't either, unless of course you like that unnatural flavor...to each his own I guess. I will make the exception for Velveeta used for queso, I manage to like that just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment