Monday, September 7, 2009

Blondies...the non-traditional brownie


I think it was just a week and a half ago that I vowed to take a break from baking. To give Brian and I a break from sweets. Oops, I forgot. This week I was craving Blondies. Many people call these special treats "light colored (or chocolate free) brownies" which I do not really agree with at all. I feel that they stand alone as a dessert and should be considered completely separate. Plus, I love adding chocolate chips to mine which I guess technically breaks the rule of a traditional blondie. Anyway, blondies rely heavily on brown sugar, so make sure yours is fresh. (Don't use the old brown sugar that is hard as a rock that's been hanging out in the back of your pantry.)

The goal for making blondies this week was to take them to the taligate on Saturday to kick-off football season. Well, to kick-off the first SMU game really... So, I planned ahead and made a special batch on Friday cause I knew the morning would get away from me on Saturday since my husband requires a good 6 hour tailgate. Blondies, beer, fajitas, and Texas heat for 6 hours, it was going to be a great day. Well, unfortunately the blondies didn't quite make it. Just as Brian was lifting my dessert travel carrier, I remembered that not all of the handles were completely locked. (That's because I kept sneaking samples just to make sure they were edible.) Yep, you guessed it, all my beautiful blondies landed on the kitchen floor. I was so sad, but about 6 were saved because they didn't hit the floor. The rest...trash.



Blondies (makes about 36 squares)

Ingredients
Pam for baking
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
3/4 cup light brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup toasted pecans
1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
1/2 cup white chocolate chips
1/4 cup toffee chips
Milk (for serving)

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 13x9 baking dish with Pam spray.

Whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl.

Melt the butter in a saucepan. Add both types of brown sugar and whisk until fully incorporated and sugar is melted. Transfer the mixture to a medium bowl and let cool slightly. Whisk in the eggs and vanilla extract. Gradually add the flour mixture and whisk until combined. Fold in the chocolate, white chocolate, toffee and pecans. Pour the mixture into your prepared baking dish.

Bake for about 25 minutes. (The top will crack slightly). Let baking dish cool on a wire rack. Once cooled, cut the blondies into small squares for serving. (Serve with milk!)

No comments:

Post a Comment