Monday, October 12, 2009

I miss my Nana

My apologies once again for it being so long since my last post. Unfortunately, my life has taken a chaotic turn and blogging was pushed off the priority list. I have been traveling quite a bit with work and my grandmother passed away last week who I was extremly close to. I called my grandmother "Nana", and I grew up cooking next to her and baking with pecans from her backyard. Every year we collect all the pecans and have several pounds shelled which we would divvy between us and freeze for use throughout the year and we bushel the rest to sell. My mom and I have been going through her things and I keep collecting box fulls of cookware and bakeware that I just cannot part with. I have adopted several of her cast iron skillets, her glass pie plates, some very unique and old kitchen utensils, and the list goes on and on. Nana taught me so much about cooking and baking. To her it was no challenge...she never measured and hardly ever looked at a recipe. She was famous for her pecan pies, coconut pies, mac and cheese, fried okra, pork chops, pear preserves (made with pears from her pear tree), and sweet pickles. It is so sad to me how her generation is slowly leaving us...it is that generation that possesses the skills to grow their own vegetables, raise their own chickens for eggs, can jelly, can preserves, can pickles, and truly make everything from scrath. I love you Nana, and I will truly miss you!

No comments:

Post a Comment