Friday, July 30, 2010

He's 30!

Yesterday was Brian's 30th Birthday. The day was great (for the most part...) I have taken off work yesterday and today in preparation for the big party tomorrow night. I ran errands in the morning, planted some new flowers, took Brian to lunch at Cafe R&D, ran more errands, baked cookies, baked brownies, cooked homemade cheeseburgers, drank wine, made Happy Birthday Milkshakes and still had time to clean out the entire area under the sink because the pipe to the disposal busted. Yes, this was the only part of the day that was not great. I was trying to clean out the fridge because I needed to make room for several of my desserts and other random ingredients for the party. As I am shoving lettuce down the sink (because I never made all those salads I was planning to have for lunch) I feel myself standing in a pool of green water. The water is running out of the cabinet underneath the sink and I just close my eyes and say a few choice words to make myself feel better. We have had a few problems with the disposal before as Brian has been determined to put some things down the sink that the disposal just can't handle. We have always managed to fix the pipes back and clean-up the mess and move on. Yesterday was worse than it had ever been before. Not only did the pipe get clogged, but it busted at one of the places where the pipes come together, so when I opened the cabinet doors, it looked like a lettuce firecracker had gone off under the sink. SICK. I hadn't scheduled in the 2 hours it took to clean it all out into my day, but what do you do? I hunkered down in the floor and proceeded to wipe lettuce and green water off of everything...walls, pipes, cleaning supplies, etc. Finally, Brian got home and fixed the pipes so I can now continue baking and washing dishes, however we both need to think before putting anything down the disposal in the future...

Moving on to the better part of the day...dessert! I am making Brian's favorite German Chocolate Cake for the party on Saturday, so unfortunately is wasn't available for our enjoyment last night. Lucky for me, Brian just wanted milkshakes! Woo Hoo! Super simple. I thought it needed a candle...so cute!

I found this recipe last summer when the Food Network first came out with its new magazine. You probably know which one I am talking about because the cover is advertised all over the place. The one with Bobby Flay on the cover with an amazing looking classic burger. Anyway, Bobby had this recipe to go with his burger, so it was only appropriate for Brian's birthday.

Chocolate Milkshakes with Marshmallow Creme

Whisk 1/2 cup heavy cream, 1/4 cup marshmallow fluff and 1/8 tsp vanilla extract until stiff peaks form; set aside. Combine 1 cup milk and 3 cups chocolate ice cream in a blender and blend until smooth. Fill 4 glasses one-quarter of the way with the shake; add some marshmallow cream, then more milkshake, then more cream, then milkshake. Finish with a dollop of marshmallow.

No comments:

Post a Comment