Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Back to Reality

Well, I just got back from Chicago, and I must say it was awesome! My mom and I saw everything there was to see in the city and we ate everything there was to eat. The food was absolutely incredible! My taste buds are still dancing in my mouth waiting for the next treat. 

We started our trip with a traditional Chicago-style hot dog complete with a poppy seed bun. For dinner, we headed to Lou Malnati's in downtown. I briefly told you about this pizzeria before, but whatever I said did not accurately describe what I experienced...actually nothing I say even now can do the pizza justice. We ordered the "Lou" (I figured it must be their best if it was named after Lou himself). It had fresh spinach, mushrooms, sliced roma tomatoes and was topped with a blend of mozzarella, romano, and cheddar cheeses. (I added pepperoni, although this pizza did not need any help in the flavor department.) When the pizza came out, I still had no idea that I was about to consume the king of all pizza's. The waitress served me my first slice and I got so excited as I watched the cheese stretch from the deep dish pan to my plate as she placed it down. I already had my knife and fork in my hands in anticipation, so I proceeded to cut my first bite...I placed the bite in my mouth and that was it...the angels started singing. There was a choir in my head singing loudly as all the flavors exploded...the sauce was slightly tangy, the vegetables were fresh and perfectly cooked, the pepperoni provided a slightly spicy element, the cheese was ooey gooey and the 3 varieties were in absolute harmony, but the crust...oh the crust!  It was crispy and buttery and stood up ideally to all of the ingredients. I will forever remember my first bite (and all those thereafter) of the famous "Lou".  

Bistro 110 did not disappoint either. They are the creator of the best french onion soup I have ever had. The onions were tender, wonderfully seasoned and nestled below a firm crouton, which was all folded in under a thick layer of gruyere and provolone cheese. 

I made my way home, munching on my "Chicago Mix" of pop corn which is equal parts of cheddar cheese and carmel popcorn mixed together...I know I know, it sounds gross, but trust me, so delicious. 

So anyway, back to reality...tonight for dinner I made Shepherd's Pie even though it's not winter...it sounded good. See this recipe from Rachael Ray, I changed several things in mine, but this provides a great basic version to play around with, so give it a try.  Smoky Turkey Shepherds Pie 

Next week Brian and I are going to start eating healthier...so I am already thinking about the Sunday night feast we will have in preparation for the new habit...I'm thinking fried chicken with mac & cheese and maybe some fried okra...

1 comment:

  1. I just ordered Gino's East from Chicago for Clint's birthday...it's his favorite Chicago pizza. He also told me you can have Lou Malnati's shipped too. A bit pricey for a basic pizza night, but is such a treat for a special occasion in the Lone Star State! Your trip sounds like so much fun and I can't wait to read more on your blog!

    ReplyDelete